Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Easy peasy lasagna



I've always loved a good lasagna while my husband has never been particularly crazy about it because he always feels as though there's too much tomato sauce. With practice, however, I've managed to perfect a simple lasagna recipe that isn't too heavy on tomato sauce and doesn't even require stirring up a bechamel sauce. That doesn't mean it doesn't take time since there is some prepping and the lasagna still needs to be baked, but the final result is one that even my husband enjoys now while both of my kids are crazy for it. In fact, all I've done is modify the recipe on the back of the fresh lasagna pack I bought and create a filling that gets my kids to eat their veggies without even realizing :)
Oh, and did I mention that it's vegetarian? Fear not meat lovers! The Gardein beefless ground meat is so good everyone's shocked to discover there's no meat in it. This dish is a success every time I make it!

Approximate time: 2 hrs

Ingredients:


  • Fresh lasagna (as pictured below)
  • cooking oil or butter
  • A mixture of chopped vegetables. (My preferred options are: 1 squash, 2 carrots (grated not chopped), 1 red bell pepper, a large onion, some celery and mushrooms). Whenever I'm out of some items I compensate with canned sweet corn and/or carrots.
  • Gardain beefless ground meet - 1 pack
  • Your favorite pasta sauce - mine is either Classico Sweet Tomato & Basil OR Wholesome Pantry Italian Herb
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon Grill Mates Brown Sugar Burbon spice
  • Cayenne pepper to taste
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 3 packs of sliced cheese - I use Muenster (this is so much simpler than grated and allows for an even cheese covering)

Instructions:

  1. Prepare all your vegetables (I like to put them all in a big bowl as I do so). Put some cooking oil or butter in a large enough wok or pot and cook at medium heat for about ten minutes while occasionally stirring.
  2. cover the bottom of a large oven-safe dish with some of the pasta sauce
  3. Add the remaining pasta sauce to your vegetables and bring to a simmer
  4. Add the beefless ground meat, bring to a simmer and wait for it to defrost. Stir well!
  5. Add the heavy cream
  6. Add the brown sugar bourbon, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
  7. Leave to simmer for about 10 minute
  8. Start layering your lasagna by placing lasagna on top of the pasta sauce, put one third of the vegetable filling on top, arrange cheese slices on top and repeat: lasagna, filling, cheese, lasagna, filling, cheese, lasagna, filling cheese.
  9. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hr in the middle of your oven at 375 F. 
  10. Remove the foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes
  11. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.



ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment