Monday, September 17, 2018

Writing The Love That Saved Him



Part of the reason why I really wanted to get into self-publishing, is because it allows me the freedom to publish some of the stories the publishing houses aren't interested in, either because they're difficult to market or don't fit the right slot at the time when I submit the manuscript. After offering this story to Avon and later to Kensington Press, and having it declined, I decided to go it alone. I knew it wouldn't be easy, simply because the story, being the contemporary one that it is, would not appeal to many of my readers. Still, I was determined to try for the simple reason that this is one of those books that had to be written. I can't really explain it any other way. All I can say it that the subject matter haunted me until a plot began taking shape inside my head. I started envisioning the characters and how to develop them over the course of the story. Their goals became as clear as their tragic backgrounds and scenery. So one night a couple of years ago, I sat down and wrote the first chapter. It would take another year and a half to complete the entire first draft of the book, not because I got writer's block, but because I had other projects under contract with my publisher. So this became a side project I occasionally worked on when I had time to spare, because just as I had to write it, I knew it had to be published so other people could share in Pierce and Sarah's journey. I've lost a lot of family members and friends to cancer over the years, including my aunt and my cousin. I was ten years old the first time I heard of a family friend passing away because of this awful disease. It shocked me to realize that such a thing was possible and that this friend's illness had progressed so fast. The idea behind The Love That Saved Him, is to shine some light on the devastating effect cancer can have while reminding people how important it is not to let it destroy those who have to go on without the people they've lost. It's about valuing life, finding beauty in simple moments and recovering from pain through friendship and love. 
Of all the stories I have ever written, this is probably the closest one to my heart, because it resonates in too many ways to count. I hope you enjoy reading it, and while I know it's not a historical, it is a cozy read filled with deep emotion and a little bit of gold-mining fun to lighten the mood. Hopefully you will give it a try and if you enjoy it, write a review. If you do, then I thank you. All reviews are greatly appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment