Monday, December 12, 2016

The Earl Takes All by Lorraine Heath



First of all, I feel as though I should say that I was very reluctant to read this book because of the premise. After briefly encountering Albert, the Earl of Greyling in Falling Into Bed With A Duke, and his scapegrace brother, Edward, I just didn't see how I could possibly find this to be a satisfying read. I must now admit that I was so completely and utterly wrong!

During Albert and Edward's travels to Africa, Albert is suddenly killed, and as he lies dying, he begs his twin brother Edward, "Be me." The purpose is to prevent Albert's wife, Julia, who is pregnant, from miscarrying - which is what Albert fears might happen if she receives the shocking news of his death. Reluctantly, Edward determines to carry out his brother's last wishes - a task that proves increasingly difficult as he becomes immersed in his brother's life and has to figure out habits, mannerisms and what Albert might have said in the past. And with a sister-in-law who longs for her husband to reassure her of his love for her, Edward soon finds himself caught up in a passion that becomes increasingly difficult to escape.

Hearts will break and mend over the course of this story as the past becomes more tightly intertwined with the future. Toward the end of the book, you will wonder how this unlikely pair will ever find their happily ever after, but you mustn't fret, because this stellar author has a brilliant solution lined up. The Earl Takes All proves what an impressive story-teller Lorraine Heath is, because this was one tough plot to pull off. She did it so well though that I was crying by the end of it and feeling both sympathy and love for all of the characters involved - a truly unforgettable romance - and one of the best I've ever read!

No comments:

Post a Comment