Monday, October 1, 2018

What I'm Watching

In my last post on what I'm watching I mentioned Chuck which was simply fantastic. I've since finished watching the entire series and kept telling my husband that the networks need to come up with something similar. I mean, Castle and Psyche are no longer running either and it just feels as though it's been a while since there's been a comedy detective/cop/spy show on TV. 
Well, I'm happy to tell you that's no longer the case. Hooray! The Good Cop, produced by Netflix, totally fills the void that developed when I finished binge-watching Chuck. It's not as kookie, but it is fun and rather cute.



Staring Tony Danza and (*dandadada*) singer Josh Groban, this show has great potential. Tony Danza is especially great as the character Big Tony, father to Josh Groban's character TJ. He's a loveable ex-cop who's done some time for being dirty. Recently released, he has some trouble playing by the rules which ends up clashing with his straight-laced son with whom he moves in. The pair are completely opposite, always at odds, which results fun dialogue and humorous scenes.
TJ's partner, Cora Vasquez, is played by Monica Barbaro who's more easy going than TJ and thus a great compliment to his character. While there is an attraction from TJ's point of view, I'm not sure if these two will ever get together or if that would work. Will have to wait and see as the series continues.
Each episode features a crime TJ and Cora have to solve while keeping Big Tony out of trouble since he's always eager to get involved. As a former cop, he does tend to add some insight that ends up being useful, so there's always that balance between keeping him away from the crime scenes and suspects and accepting his expertise.
One of the best things about this show is it's available on Netflix, which means you don't have to wait a week to watch the next episode. You can see as many or as few as you like at your convenience.



The second show I'm watching right now is Maniac. This features Jonah Hill and Emma Stone as Annie Landsberg and Owen Milgrim. Annie suffers from relationship issues and depression while Owen has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Both are drawn to an experimental and somewhat mysterious drug trial involving pills that promises to repair the mind and solve the problem of pain. Of course, things don't go as planned. There's virtual intelligence involved, a hookup to a computer and a short circuit melding Annie's and Owen's consciousnesses together so they start experiencing the same dreams. I'm not sure how I would categorize it, maybe as fantasy drama, but one thing's for sure: it's different. Whether or not it will continue to hold my interest is yet to be determined, but for now there are some intriguing elements I'd like to know more about, like whether or not Owen really is schizophrenic or if he's just experiencing a different reality.

Other shows I plan on watching soon are The Iron Fist, Last Man Standing (which I'm so glad has been revived), Supernatural and Dr. Who which premieres on October 7th.

What are you watching? Maybe you can recommend something I don't know about or haven't decided to give a chance. Let me know in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment