Saturday, September 29, 2018

My best September 2018 purchases

I made two great purchases this month, both of which I'm super pleased with. As a tea-lover who only drinks non-caffeinated brews, it was time to restock, so when I went shopping a couple of weeks ago I took a long stroll down the tea aisle at my local grocery store. My kitchen has one small drawer dedicated to tea, so I usually go for assortments to minimize the big boxes containing only one kind. But, there were two kinds of tea I couldn't resist buying this time and they're so good I don't mind drinking them every day for the next month or longer.
One is Bigelow Sweet Dreams, a "blend of chamomile & mint to calm & soothe). 
The other is Bigelow Benfits Ginger & Peach. The aroma and flavor of this one is absolutely fantastic! I love it :)



My second, and perhaps even better, September purchase is Erik and the Gods. This is an adventure book written by a Danish author named Lars-Henrik Olsen. Although I have attempted to teach my kids danish, they're not fluent and they definitely wouldn't be able to read a book like this in the original language. So I was thrilled when I found an English translation on Amazon. 
The plot involves a 13 year old boy's adventure to save the world with the help of Thor's daughter. If you're interested in Nordic mythology, you really ought to read this book which is kind of along the lines of diving into a Percy Jackson or Harry Potter in terms of the age group it's targeting. It provides a lot of really interesting facts about Nordic Gods woven into the intrigue of the story and has won numerous awards including the English Pen Award. This story provides the reader with accurate information which is oftentimes slightly different from the Hollywood representations you encounter in the movies. Definitely worth a read and a book I'm so glad I own.



"An exciting and original introduction to one of the greatest of all mythological universes." - Daniel Hahn, Oxford Companion to Children's Literature.

The Norse Gods have been fighting an endless war with the Giants and now they’re growing weak and losing their powers. So the God of Thunder, Thor, travels to earth to find help. He asks Erik, an ordinary teenage boy, to go on a secret mission to Asgard and the Land of the Giants.
Together with Thor’s daughter, Trud, Erik must risk all venturing to the Land of the Giants to rescue the Goddess of Youth and her magic apples, the only thing which can revive the dying Gods. But time is running out. Can they rescue the Goddess and prevent Ragnarok, the End of the World?


No comments:

Post a Comment