Monday, September 10, 2018

Getting back in the swing of things



The kids went back to school last week, leaves started falling off the trees two days ago, my editor emailed me her review notes for my next release yesterday, so I can no longer pretend I'm still on summer vacation, no matter how much I'd rather doodle in my bujo, lounge about reading romance novels or watching T.V. 
Nope. 
It is officially time for me to get back to work, which is no easy feat since I've really enjoyed taking time off with my family. 
Writing, I always find, takes practice and requires routine. Whenever I take a break from it and get out of the habit of putting down 3-4,000 words per day, it is incredibly hard to get back into the swing of it. 
But, I now have a deadline looming on the horizon, so here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to grab a cup of coffee, plant myself in my favorite writing chair and turn off the internet to disable all social media notifications, incoming email distractions etc. Then I'm going to take a deep breath and dive right into chapter one of the monster before me. And yes, it is a monster right now since it needs a complete makeover. But I'm determined. You do not manage to write more than twenty books without being willing to take on an uphill battle - ask any author and I'm sure they'll confirm this. It's part of the reason why most people who say they want to write a book, never do. Because it's hard, but at the end of the day, it's also incredibly rewarding to know that you've built a new world and placed characters in it. 
I realize this, and that is the part I look forward to - the goal I know I can reach since I've done it before. I will turn this beast into a beauty, put ribbons on it and make it sparkle. So if you're struggling with your own story right now and trying to make it work, pulling your hair out with discouraged frustration or trying to overcome writer's block, know that you're not alone. I'm in the boat with you, but rather than sit and despair over how far away the shore is, let's pick up our paddles and row. That way we'll get there eventually - little by little - one word at a time.
And here's the interesting part - the truth - at least from my point of view: As soon as I actually start, I get sucked in and the edits miraculously get done by the deadline and sometimes even before. Because an author's persistence goes hand in hand with passion for the stories they write. We immerse ourselves in them and savor the process of turning them into the gems they are destined to be. If we didn't, our jobs would not be possible and we'd find something else to do instead. So take a seat and accept that summer is over and there's work to be done. Open your WIP or start a new one. Give yourself a fixed set of hours per day or daily word count. When you reach it, offer yourself a reward, like an hour with your favorite show, magazine or book, a bubble bath or some other treat. Then take a deep breath and repeat the next day and the day after that. Before you  know it, you'll have reached your goal - that elusive place that seemed so unreachable weeks before. And when you do, don't forget to congratulate yourself for your achievement, because you've done something most people wish they could do, but don't.

- Never Give Up. Just Keep On Writing -

No comments:

Post a Comment